Sunday, June 24, 2007

on being muslim

Before I begin this post let me first clarify, I am not the best Muslim. I do not do all the things that I am supposed to do. I know that. Does that make me a worse Muslim, that I know I should do it and I don't? I don't know, and to be honest, to me, that is for God to decide.

Many things have happened of late that have placed faith high on my list of thoughts. The fact that in Malaysia someone was denied the legal right to convert from Islam because they were Malay, the backlash that Sharifah Amani received for shaving her head and most recently the slew of riots that ensued as a result of the knighthood of Salman Rushdie.

My thoughts on these things in brief are as follows:-

On the first matter, I believe that constitutionally it should be recognized that all Malays need not be Muslim. It does not go hand in hand. One is a culture and a race, the other is a religion. One is defined by your genetic makeup and the other should be a choice you make. Surely, it defeats the purpose of religion should it be shoved down your throat? I have always believed that religion is a lot about nawaitu, niat, intention, whatever the language you choose to see it in. Surely making religious choices a legal thing makes a mockery of this?

On the second matter, the backlash was predominantly because Muslim clerics and scholars said that by going bald she was trying to be a man which Islam prohibits. I believe this is a ridiculously tight and uneducated reading of that part of the Quran. Firstly, whoever decided that being bald was the domain of men? For many African women this is the norm. Secondly, if Islam was read so strictly, then wouldn't Prophet Muhammad's (Peace Be upon Him) wife be in serious breach of this rule when she captained armies in God's name?

On the third matter. I think it is poor timing on the British government's part, however I see nothing wrong with it. I have not read any of his books, but I am sure some people believe they are works of literary genius. So he is knighted, so what? It is for works of fiction, that really shouldn't be taken so seriously. Did we see similar levels of rioting and was it taken so seriously when "The Da Vinci Code" was released? No.

My thoughts on faith generally in the events post 9-11 have been largely coloured by shame.

Shame, that Muslims seem to think that the only way out is by bombs and riots.

Shame, that as a people, we seem to be living up to the stereotypes that the media feeds the masses.

Please don't get me wrong. I understand that in the face of such hatred and bigotry it is easy to think that there are no other options. I empathise with feeling such helplessness that you believe there is no way out. But why do we insist on sinking to levels even lower than those on which our persecutors stand?

With the Rushdie thing as with the Danish cartoon that was published some time back. I understand being offended. But really does is warrant such rioting and backlash? Is our strength not better conserved for something a little less frivolous?

Why do we react to everything so disproportionately and with such violence? Is this what we want the world to think? There are the lucky few of us who live in places where a more moderate face of Islam is the norm and hence such bigoted views of a beautiful religion are not prevalent. But what of the rest of the world uneducated in this norm?

When did we as Muslims forget that God's soldiers fight best with their minds and their hearts, not with bombs and fists?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The debate on common sense and religion will never end will it. It is a shame that there are ppl out there giving this beautiful religion a bad name. It is true that it all comes down to intention, i doubt that malaysian actress went bald to go against the religion, she was doing it for a movie part kan.. *sigh* btw.. dont u think her head looks funny now, mcm a goldfish banar pulang.. hehe *lubs u*

RealityBites said...

im not quite sure if there is any article that cud support on wat im abt to say, however,i believe the issue of converting from Islam to another religion is on the basis these converts-to-be are Muslims who happen to be Malays.so i believe the issue of concern of the religious parties in Malaysia is the origin of their religion-not the race. good day~

Troubadour said...

I'm not sure I exactly understand what you're saying, but from what I gather, you're saying that the issue is not the conversion out of Islam, it's the fact that in the situations mentioned, the would- be converts are malays who want to convert out of islam.

If I've gotten that right, then to me the situation in Malaysia is entirely race related. The Malaysian constitution states that all Muslims are Malay.

I believe that God doesn't make such assumptions, so neither should any government.

No offence intended in any event :)